Friday, May 8, 2009

No Swine Flu here

Yesterday started badly (see previous post). And as I predicted, it only got worse. 

Cody's school was having a Mother's Day celebration and I was so looking forward to it. However, my youngest, Tyler, was in NO mood to be taken out of the house. He cried the ENTIRE morning, and did not want me to put him down. So held him I did.

I held him while I brushed my teeth.

I held him while I brushed my hair.

I held him while I dressed myself,

for he WOULD NOT SIT IN THE FREAKING CHAIR (I love Dr. Seuss).

Anyway, I finally got out the door and on my way to Cody's school. When I got there, Cody was in no mood to socialize with Mommy. He barely said two words to me when I walked in the door. Now, I know I'm probably expecting a little too much from him - he was at school surrounded by all of his friends after all - but what I really wanted to do was snatch him up and say, "Is it too much trouble for you to KISS THE WOMAN WHO LABORED WITH YOU FOR TWELVE HOURS when she walks in the door?" But I didn't. Maybe I'll wait till middle school.

So, he pretty much didn't want anything to do with me, but he did make me some really special art projects for the day. We ate strawberry shortcake, and by "ate" I mean I let Tyler smear the whipped cream all over me. Cody took one bite of it and said, "Mommy, this is yucky." Add that to the list of Delicious, Sugary, Sweet Things That My Child Won't Eat. When it was time to leave he threw a HUGE fit, not realizing that all of his friends were also leaving school. I can only hope that he will be that excited to stay at school when he's a teenager.

We got home and I fed them lunch, and Tyler wouldn't touch his food. I picked him up to take him upstairs for his nap and realized he felt like he was on fire. I took his temperature (rectally, which I normally don't do since I can barely even change his diaper he squirms so much, but he was REALLY hot and I wanted to get a good reading) and it was 103.7.

Now, I don't know about you, but if your kid has a high fever and won't eat, you generally think he might have a touch of the...say it with me...FLU. But of course, it couldn't be just your normal flu! Thank you mainstream media for making me FREAK OUT and think that my kid might have SWINE FLU. 

I resolved myself to see how he did that night before I called the doctor, since he really didn't have any other symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. I told Mike about the fever, and without my knowledge he promptly FREAKED OUT TOO and called the doctor and made him an appointment (God bless the germaphobic husband). Side Note: That sweet husband of mine also took both boys when he got home from work and went to get us dinner so that I could have some quiet time. Have I mentioned I love him? I love him. I. LOVE. HIM.

We did the doctor thing this morning, and though he does not (PRAISE JESUS) have Swine Flu, he does have a double ear infection. Bring on the antibiotics (with a side of Prozac for Mommy :) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment