Wednesday, November 18, 2009

DO IT

I'm sitting in the library to do my writing this morning because Starbucks was WAY crowded. Don't you just hate when that happens? It seems that there are always ways to get distracted with our writing, whether it be people (I'm looking at you Loud Talker Guy), places (Megan Rebekah did a great post on change of scenery today), or things (remember the laundry?).

The thing is...THE THING IS: How bad do I want this? How bad to I want to finish this novel? How badly do I want to be a GREAT writer? Do I want it bad enough that I'll drive the extra ten minutes to the library so that I can have peace and quiet? Will I maybe NOT watch that certain show (or in my case, SHOWS) this week so that I can get in some extra writing time? The proof is in the pudding, folks. And if the pudding box is in the pantry, well...then MAKE SOME PUDDING. (Okay, I know I got carried away with it...I was going for motivational and I think it just got ridiculous.)

How bad do you want it? What are you doing to GET IT?

 And to reiterate my point, go watch this clip from Starsky and Hutch. Not only will the "Do It" get stuck in your head, it is fraught with writing analogies (he talks about adding depth and backstory to your characters AND voice. It's a win win! Plus, it'll make you laugh - and let's face it...that's what I'm here for!).

14 comments:

  1. Starsky and Hutch was hilarious! Loved it!

    You're right. We have to not only want to be a writer, we have to put in the time (sometimes painful) to write. It's not always easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have to give up some things and be willing to go the extra mile to be a writer. Sometimes we'll want to do that; others we won't, but will still have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspirational Beth! We definitely need to want it badly enough to make the pudding! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've run out of milk I've made so many batches of pudding. I'm carrying my computer around with me everywhere these days. Snatching half an hour here 10 minutes there. Hopefully I'm not losing the continuity of the story, but you do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! That was great. I'm going to be saying "Do it" to my hubby when he comes home from work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often veer from motivational to ridiculous. And oddly, I'm so okay with that. :)

    What am I doing?...investing a b...load of time in writing. That's what.

    Nice write up on my blog today. Good, good stuff.

    Happy Gobble Day!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, you've got to read about the dream I had with Bono that I wrote about yesterday. I know you of all people will appreciate it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you say things on your blog like "go make some pudding" and a pregnant woman reads this, and the pregnant woman LIKES pudding and looks in her pantry only to discover THERE IS NONE, it is just not nice. Not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! I want it BAD! Really bad. So bad, in fact, that I sacrifice sleep. And So You Think You can Dance AND The Office, two my used-to-be favorite shows.

    Excuse me while I go whip up some pudding...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want it bad enough to wake up at 6:00 AM every morning to write without distractions. You do what you gotta do :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, we definitely must be willing to give up certain things to get what we want. I give up sleep, lots of TV, sometimes time with my family (although I make this last resort). I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the veer to pudding. Any time you can add pudding to a blog post, DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! I really hope you keep up the energy. I've needed a little (okay a whole darn lot) of inspiration lately. I've needed this post and clip. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just worry about my timing. The last time I couldn't escape from noises gallore, I headed to the library. I got settled in and next thing you know a whole hoard of little kids came in and then some lady in overalls, straw hat, and a pink bunny tied to the end of her guitar asked me to move...apparently I was in the story-time spot. When the tar did story time in a library become a toddler hoe-down?

    ReplyDelete