Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crazy Days

This weekend was a bit of a blur, since I was without a husband for most of it. His filming duties kicked into overdrive because the boy's baseball team at the school where he teaches won the State Championship! He's done with school and home now, so that has been a huge relief.

And as most of you know, yesterday was Mike's birthday, so I was too busy taking him on a surprise kayaking trip down the Chattahoochee River to post. I'm actually quite surprised that I'm able to type this, because I thought for sure that I wouldn't be able to lift my arms today. 

We rented a two person kayak and off we went. The first part of the trip was really fun, because there's a couple of small rapids and the pace is pretty quick. However, the second leg of the trip was BRUTAL. The river comes pretty much to a standstill, so you have to paddle the rest of the way to the pickup point. 

Now here's where I'm going to be perfectly honest with you people and tell you that I pretty much don't exercise. EVER. My version of exercise is chasing after my kids or hiking laundry up and down the stairs in my house. The last time I really pushed myself to exercise was in college. Needless to say, I was not prepared for the strenuousness of this excursion.

The trip was only going to be 2 hours, so we didn't really bring much to drink or snack on. After the first hour, I realized that I had forgotten to eat lunch - which normally isn't a big deal, but I was burning a lot of energy, what with all the paddling and all, and I actually thought I might have to jump into the river and catch a trout with my bare hands because I was SO HUNGRY.

This situation is perfectly typical for our relationship. We have laughed MANY TIMES over how things are "supposed" to go, but actually turn out quite different. We even nicknamed our relationship "CAN'T GET RIGHT" after a line in a movie we saw when we first started dating, because it fit us perfectly. In lovely "CAN'T GET RIGHT" fashion, I will not be posting pictures because I can't find the camera we took them with. So, hopefully pictures are to come :)

Despite the fact that we were both pretty hungry, we had an incredible time. We both kept saying, "Gosh, it's so quiet out here". With two little boys in the house you can be sure that the volume is usually LOUD. :) It was awesome being alone in nature with the person I love the most in this world. Happy Birthday Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment