Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Who Do You Write For?


What's selling? What's hot? Are you wishing you were a delinquent reality star just so you could get a foot in the door for a book deal? How much are you willing to change in order to please the industry?

At the writer's conference I attended, I had an editor tell me that my type of book isn't selling, and I had an agent tell me to change my title, yet she requested a full manuscript. A little bit confusing? I think so. There is so much subjectivity out there it's scary. So who do we listen to?


I would imagine that if you're an unpublished author you would move heaven and earth to please an agent or an editor (I changed my title, by the way). But what about those who are already published? I wonder if they feel the pressure to bend to please the industry professionals as much as someone who is trying to get that foot in the door.

What do you think? Should unpublished authors do "whatever" they're told to please the industry? Published authors, do you still feel the pressure to change everything you're told to?

*Photo courtesy of Google Images

9 comments:

  1. I would sell my soul within reason to get published, so far the revisions i got from my editor enhanced my story instead of killing it. If that is not enough then I will offer to write a new story.
    All the pubbed authors I've met swear the pressure is still the same if not more, I am waiting to be in their shoes b4 I blive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not willing to do just anything, but I think I'm definitely teachable and willing to do what it takes to get my writing to a publishable state. But I think we all have to have a line we won't cross and know what that line is before it's asked of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers, ladies. Heather, I'm seeing a parallel here. Publishing is like teenage dating, no? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I like Heather's response. A teachable spirit is key in this business and man, are there ever opportunities to learn humility. ;)

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will not do anything I do not feel comfortable with. If they want that, then maybe they are not for me.... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Heather and Diane said. But first I have to write the dang book. I want to know your new title :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, it's like teenage dating. That's EXACTLY what I was going to say. Also, I think it's important to incorporate feedback while maintaining my unique voice. If I stray from my voice I get immediate writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine the pressure would be the same once you're published....I would think it would relate to the film industry...do you think Ralph has more say creatively when we take a project to a studio or do you think I would? I have some stuff under my belt but nowhere near him...I would think it would be the same in publishing in a sense....I know when Francine was writing her last book it turned into 2 books....so it looks like she might not have wanted to cut too much =) HA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you have to be pretty teachable and flexible to be published. The best of both worlds is a meeting of the minds where you and the publisher can really share ideas. I was pleased and amazed to experience that with my publisher -- I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete