Friday, March 11, 2011

If A Tree Falls In The Forest

This morning started off in an ordinary way -- making breakfast, watching cartoons, getting kids dressed for school...the regular mom routine. It wasn't until I dropped my oldest off at school at 9:30 that I turned on the radio and heard about the devastation in Japan caused by an earthquake, and subsequent tsunami. I was completely shocked. I'm still in shock.

We go about our lives sometimes, completely unaware that there is a world full of other people out there, and that a great number of them are suffering. I remember feeling a similar way when 9/11 happened. I was in London, England, and had just spent a beautiful morning walking through the Museum of London, completely unaware of the tragedy that was unfolding back home. 

Except this time it's not my homeland, it's someone else's.

My prayers are with the Japanese people, and anyone else affected by these natural disasters. 

5 comments:

  1. I pray with you.

    I'm heading up coordinating a walk to help stop sex trafficking in Cambodia and I was throwing out the idea to two preschool moms. One was excited about it and I couldn't read the other mom's expression, but I swore it was one of confusion--confusion why I'd be investing my time in something like that. Now, I may be way off base but I still haven't been able to shake her expression.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to ignore a tragedy when it's not close to us. My prayers go out to the people in Japan too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these tragedies affect us all because we never know when our own lives can change like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. It's so unbelievably sad. My heart goes out to them too. I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really surprising when it happened. Its something that given me thinking that its like the end of the world. Mother earth is already in sickness, that's probably a cause.


    Shane from frein moteur pour voiture 

    ReplyDelete